Second annual My Halton Foody Fortnight announced for September

PUBLISHED: 21:43 21 August 2012 | UPDATED: 21:46 20 February 2013

Second annual My Halton Foody Fortnight announced for September

Second annual My Halton Foody Fortnight announced for September

Food lovers are set for a treat as Halton prepares for its second annual My Halton Foody Fortnight which will take place next month, it has been revealed.

Food lovers are set for a treat as Halton prepares for its second annual My Halton Foody Fortnight which will take place next month, it has been revealed.

Last year's event was hailed as a success after giving thousands of Halton residents the chance to see live chef demonstrations, try food from around the world and learn new skills.

More details to whet your appetite will be released soon, with events taking place from Monday 17 to Sunday 30 September. Watch this space!

The My Halton event last year, organised by Halton borough Council and Halton Strategic Partnership was seen by almost 10,000 people at Widnes Market during the fortnight, with another 9,329 passing by.

It also brought people to Halton's markets and CRMZ- Halton's new youth hub - where 200 young people got involved in foody events - who would never usually attend those venues - in the hope they will become regulars.

More than 30 people also attended a refresher food hygiene course for take-away owners organised by Halton Borough Council

Denis Betts, Head Coach Widnes Vikings, who enjoyed his time cooking live with chef Brian Mellor couldn't praise the event enough and proved popular with the crowds at Widnes Market.

He said: "I had a brilliant time, keen to keep in touch with Brian to see if we can use cooking as team building exercises for the squad and to make sure they are eating what they should.

Elaine Birtwistle, School Cook from St Peter and Pauls School said: I was really nervous at the start but once the demonstration was underway felt brilliant.". She wowed the crowd when she cooked a tasty paella.

Young People who visited the VRMZ (youth bus) really enjoyed the fruit options they tried while others enjoyed daily taster sessions at the CRMZ centre.

Halton Borough Council Leader Cllr Rob Polhill, said: "This event really caught the imagination and showed last year what can be done on a small budget with the cooperation of public and private sector organisations working together.

"We hope it has encouraged more people to cook and eat healthily in future and therefore help people to live longer, healthier lives in the area. We want to build on this this year."

Halton Borough Council and Halton Strategic Partnership organised the event with events also put on by Norton Priory, the Health Improvement Team, Cheshire Fire and Rescue among others - and funding from the Halton Housing Trust.



Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Cheshire