Scallops poached in lemon thyme butter recipe
PUBLISHED: 13:42 28 October 2014
For the vegetable stock:
• 2 peeled carrots
• 2 peeled onions
• 1 celery stick
• 3 cloves of crushed garlic
• ½ bulb of fennel
• 1.5 litres of cold water
• 2 bayleaves
• 3 sprigs of thyme
• 1 star anise
• 1 sprig of tarragon
• 1 sprig of dill
• 2 sprigs of chervil
• 3 slices of lemon
• 150 ml of white wine
Roughly chop the vegetables into even sized pieces. Place them into a large sauce pan, cover with the cold water, add the bay leaves, thyme and star anise. Bring to the boil and allow to simmer for 8 minutes, add the remaining herbs and simmer for a couple more minutes.
Add the lemon slices and white wine, remove from the heat and allow to cool.
Pass the vegetable stock and set aside
For the garnish:
• 150 grams of finely diced carrots
• 75 grams of finely diced yellow courgette (skin only)
• 75 grams of finely diced green courgette (skin only)
• 75 grams of finely diced celery
• 75 grams of finely diced fennel
• 25 grams of finely diced lemon peel (cooked until soft)
• 3 teaspoons of picked lemon thyme leaves
• 150 grams of unsalted butter
• Juice of 1 whole lemon
• 4 large hand diced scallops, trimmed of their roe and skirt
Blanch the vegetables individually and set aside. Add the butter to 500 grams of the vegetable stock and reduce to 300 grams, using a stick blender, blend the butter into the stock until emulsifies, add the diced vegetables, the lemon thyme and season with salt and the lemon juice.
Slice the scallop in half and add to the cook vegetables, poach for 1 minute and a half and serve in the shells.