7 things to do in Knutsford
PUBLISHED: 11:09 10 September 2014 | UPDATED: 12:39 30 April 2016
We explore Knutsford town in Cheshire and discover there is plenty to do and discover.
1. Knutsford’s charming streets and pretty shops make it the perfect backdrop for romance so take a stroll with Mr or Ms Right through the town and soak up the historic ambience. The cobbled roads and narrow walkways will sweep you into costume drama territory and it’s easy to imagine Knutsford writer Mrs Gaskell swishing through in her crinoline, getting inspiration for novels such as the delightful Cranford. To get to grips with the fascinating history of the town pay a visit to the Heritage Centre on King Street. It is here you can also see the lovely Knutsford Tapestry which was created between 1997 and 2001 to celebrate the millennium. It’s a charming 40ft long triptych which shows in immense detail, shops, events and people.
2. For the ultimate relaxing experience head to the Mere Golf and Country Club and enjoy a spa – perhaps take timeout with your other half or a friend. You can spend a few hours in total relaxation, indulging in delicious treatments, taking a dip in the fabulous pool and maybe enjoying a healthy lunch. There are a number of places you can grab some me-time in the town though – including Knutsford Beauty Retreat and Knutsford Nails and Beauty.
3. Knutsford is a bit of a foodie haven with its fabulous restaurants and bistros and this is a great place to enjoy a leisurely lunch. You can dine at smart bistros such as Gusto and Don Giovanni, soak up the historic ambience of the Cross Keys inn, or head a little bit out to the famed Bells Of Peover pub. You can also opt for something lighter at one of the many smart coffee shops and bars.
4. Go shopping! This is a town that has managed to retain a healthy mix of high street and independent businesses. Where else would you find Verity Plum, an elegant ladieswear shop that specialises in gorgeous clothing for plus sized women? Or the new Meccanica store which specialises in retro cycling style? Seek out stylish clothing at Cocoranti, Willow and Boutique D’Or, buy a gift from Polished Glass or maybe take a fragrance trail at One the Pulse of Perfumery, the town’s very own fragrance boutique.
5. It’s the perfect place for an antiques hunt and you may even want to head for the sale rooms and an auction. Knutsford mixes up high end luxury and everyday essentials such as Knutsford Dry Cleaners well. Shoppers can also check out the Indoor Market which is open every Tuesday, Friday and Saturday, and an award winning Artisan Market on Princess Street on the first Sunday of every Month.
6. If you want to dress up and have fun with the girls or boys, Knutsford is a rather fabulous place for grown up fun. One of the great dining attractions of the town is the Belle Époque a really elegant establishment in the centre of the town that even has a special table where nervous would-be grooms can pop the question. It’s decor is intriguing and eclectic and the menu befittingly indulgent. You can dine Med style at Etruria or take a trip out to gastro pubs like the Dun Cow. Or you may want to sip champagne on the terrace at canvas or take a tipple in the local wine bar which has live music on Thursdays, Fridays and at Sunday brunch.
7. You could catch a movie at the Curzon cinema or have an early dinner or drink at the delightful Old Sessions House or Freemasons Arms. There are plenty of places for you to curl up and enjoy a drink beside a romantically flickering fireplace before you head out into town for dinner.