Susie's Mushroom Risotto
Monday, August 3, 2111
By Susie Carter
10g dried porcini mushrooms
500ml good vegetable stock
1 onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, crushed
150g risotto rice
75ml white wine
40g Old Winchester cheese, grated
few drops truffle oil (optional)
1. Put the dried mushrooms in a bowl and add enough boiling water to generously cover. Leave to soak for 30 minutes, then squeeze out the liquid and finely chop.
2. Reserve the soaking liquor.
3. Warm the stock in a small saucepan and keep it at a gentle simmer while you prepare the rice.
4. Melt half the butter in a wide saut pan and fry the onion for a few minutes until softened. Add the garlic and chopped porcini and cook for 2 more minutes, then add the rice and stir well to coat in the butter.
5. Add the wine and bubble until it has evaporated. Add a couple of ladlefuls of stock and stir well. When the liquid has almost all been absorbed, add some more stock and repeat until all the liquid has been used. Taste the rice - if it is still a bit crunchy, continue the process using the reserved mushroom soaking liquor.
6. When there is just a tiny bit of bite left in the rice, season well with salt and pepper, stir in the rest of the butter, the cheese, and truffle oil, then cover the pan and leave it to rest for 5 minutes. Serve in warm bowls or chill in the fridge ready for making arancini Scotch eggs.