- Cooking Time: 30 - 60 mins
- Cuisine: British
- Main Ingredient: cabbage
- Preparation Time: Under 30 mins
- Serves: 4+
- 500g red cabbage
- 3 echalion shallots
- 2 Pink Lady apples
- Knob of salted butter
- 2 clementines
- 10 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 100ml red wine vinegar
- 4tbsp Streamline black cherry jam
- Salt and black pepper
Finely slice the cabbage, shallots and apples. In a large casserole, heat the butter then tip in the sliced cabbage, shallots and apples and toss well. Add the zest and juice of one clementine, stud the other clementine with cloves and add it to the pan along with the cinnamon, mixed spice, vinegar and black cherry jam. Season, stir and put the lid on.
Cook on a low heat for an hour until the cabbage is tender, stirring occasionally. If the mixture gets a little dry, add a dash of water. Serve hot or cold.
Note: Great with ham, cold meats and cheese as well as alongside a traditional roast.
Newsletter Sign Up
- Theatre review - Matilda The Musical, Palace Theatre, Manchester
- Win a spa break at a luxury country hotel in the Peak District
- Enjoy your local countryside walks on National GetOutside Day with a free month’s subscription to OS Maps
- Restaurant review - Little Lanka, Stockport
- The Shippon launch party, Eyton, Wrexham
- 10 spooky things to do in Cheshire for Halloween
- Restaurant review - Parea, Alderley Edge
- Party Gras in Nantwich raises funds St Luke’s Hospice
- George Mathias - running with celebrities for charity
- What is it about Hale and Hale Barns that makes them a property hot spot?